For the Company:
• Develop a succession plan that includes a gap analysis of leadership needs
• Define the core values that will align the traits you are looking for in a leader
• Create a culture of open and honest communication allowing for feedback and encouragement
• Provide opportunities to learn and grow into leadership
For the individual that is transitioning in:
• Seek honest feedback of your skills, identifying strengths and opportunities for improvement
• Participate in training and education to bolster your skills
• Take opportunities and risk to expand your reach in a company
For the individual that is transitioning out:
• Set a goal to "let go" and define actions to accomplish this
• Work on you – what are you going to do after you transition?
• Set and share a timeline so that you and the organization are accountable
A transition in leadership is not an event, it is part of a culture that is developed within an organization. Transitioning has the potential to be an emotional process – it helps to find the right coach or specialist to work with you through specific issues.
Courtesy Mike Ridder, Blueprint Business Advisory