Sioux Empire United Way will kick off its 2020 Campaign on September 12 at 8 a.m. at the Sioux Falls Convention Center. This year’s fundraising campaign will support 41 local agencies, impacting the lives of one in three people across the Sioux Empire.
“With nearly 24,000 individual givers that supported last year’s campaign, the United Way’s effort is truly a community-wide effort and the kickoff event celebrates the start of that effort,” said Miles Beacom, 2020 Volunteer Campaign Chair and CEO of PREMIER Bankcard. “The next several weeks will be busy for volunteers completing corporate calls, running employee campaigns, and providing colleagues and community members the opportunity to support the United Way funded programs.”
Sioux Empire United Way funded programs help children, vulnerable adults and people in crisis:
• Almost 2 million books have been delivered to children in the Sioux Empire through Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library.
• 444 children have access to free dental care.
• 180 individuals who are cared for by a loved one have a safe place to be during the day.
• 245 individuals with disabilities are provided with social, recreational, and quality of life activities to improve their relationships with peers and our community.
• 226 students have access to professional mental health counseling sessions each month in their school.
• 976 women and children were provided with a safe shelter when escaping a domestic violence situation.
“In 1995, at a similar kickoff event, our community committed to raising $3.4 million, ending the campaign with a successful $4 million effort,” said Beacom. “This year we’re aiming for 25 years in a row of achieving our Sioux Empire United Way’s Campaign Goal and we’re confident this event will be the start of another very successful campaign.”
Sioux Empire United Way’s Kickoff Event will highlight the local agencies that receive funds from the United Way campaign and announce this year’s campaign goal. The event is open to the public and free to attend. Learn more by visiting seuw.org or call Sioux Empire United Way at (605) 336-2095.